Tuesday, December 23, 2008

Best holiday moment so far

I got to work today and a co-worker had sent me a message asking me to quickly post an event to our intranet. Some carolers, clients from Easter Seals who are eager singers, were going to perform briefly in our building. As I was posting that event, he then sent a message to our department and said the carolers were going to stop by our floor first and sing a few songs, so please gather 'round when they arrived.

There happened to be a few kids in the office today... waiting for their moms to finish some last minute work, and we were getting ready to wrap all the presents for our Adopt-A-Family, and there were Christmas treats galore on the coffee bar, so it was already a somewhat festive atmosphere.

And then the carolers arrived. One dressed as Santa announced their arrival with some hearty HoHoHos. The carolers took their places--a jumble of people, winter coats and special needs equipment--wheelchairs, walkers, etc. A surprising number of people on our floor happened to be around, including the kids, and we all gathered around to listen.

They performed with such joy and pride. One woman, in particular, knew all the words and was singing as loud as she possibly could. One man, right in front, kept interrupting his singing to smile bashfully at people as he caught their eyes. This group would not win any awards for tonal quality, but they'd certainly win for enthusiasm and for the little Miracle on 6th Floor: I daresay all of us forgot about our own issues and stresses, the work deadlines and the unbought presents, while we were reminded of just how special this season can be if only we'd forget about getting everything just right and focus more on experiencing the wonder of the moment.

We all applauded as they paraded out, their Santa gallantly giving us candy canes as he passed by. And we all went back to whatever we were doing before they came. But I know the performance left a lasting impression. I heard co-workers commenting on it off and on all afternoon.

On the way home tonight, relieved to have many chores behind me, I was thinking about their performance. I sat at a stoplight, grateful for the falling snow that would prevent anyone else from seeing the tears streaming down my face. I don't know why it hit me so hard; or why then. But I was grateful they shared their love of singing with us today. It was the best gift.

The Easter Seals Carolers: The best holiday moment so far this year.

No comments: