Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Argh!

So I made it until 4:38 p.m. today avoiding any mention of what will unfold tonight on Olympic gymnastics. 4:38! I was surprised and impressed with myself. I mean, going to work was a complete risk. And had I not had a lot to do today, I might have decided to work from home to avoid overhearing any results. But I had made it until 4:38!

And then... out of nowhere... I'm opening a cabinet by my boss's desk and she says, "Did you hear Shawn Johnson ... {omitted out of respect for those of you who still haven't heard what happens}?"

ARGH! I could NOT believe it. What I also couldn't believe was that not 10 minutes later one of my uncles e-mailed and mentioned the results as well. I mean... come ON, people. It's the Olympics. There's a great time difference. We've been dealing with this for over a week now. Isn't it an unwritten rule that you ASK people if they know what's happened and/or if they care before you share the results?

I've had many a tennis match ruined this same way... someone sends an e-mail with the subject line "I feel bad for Andre" or (more recently) "Another Fed loss?" And I just want to scream.

I know we talk about how we're a litigious society and people will sue other people for anything these days. But I think you can make a case for suing people who ruin events you've waited weeks--if not months--to watch unfold at the time and place and speed and pace you desire.

Either that, or I need to begin cutting myself off from society for weeks before major sporting events. I mean OFF. No phone. No e-mail. No face-to-face conversations. No media - because you can't trust the media to respect your sporting rights either - especially LOCAL media which is all about having the latest and greatest scoop even if it's at the expense of sportslovers everywhere.

Now, perhaps I'm overreacting. And at least I don't know what happens with Lolo Jones in the 100 meter hurdles tonight. And yes, I will still enjoy watching the gymnastics, because I don't know everything that happens. But still... Let's get a grip here, shall we, people!? Shut your traps. Let's all go back to talking about the crappy economy and the veep choices and just pretend the Olympics aren't happening... unless what you're talking about has already aired in prime time.

Is it really so much to ask?

No comments: