Sunday, October 5, 2008

Sorry about the last one

Long before I started this blog, I was thinking about doing so. And one day, almost two years ago to this date, I thought of a post and said, "If I had a blog, this is what I'd write about today." So I wrote it down.

Back then: I was having a pretty good week, and was feeling like I had been on the receiving end of a lot of good things/fun news. I thought then that listing all the things I'd received that week might make for a random/interesting post.

Today: I ran across that list today--totally out of the blue. It still entertained me a bit, and it's a good reminder to be grateful for the little things right along with the big things. And even, sometimes, for the not-so-good things. They typically make life interesting...

Here's the list of things I'd received that week:

  • Good news of my college-age cousins’ escapades at college and such – surviving, learning Swahili, etc.
  • Two $1 coupons to Dairy Queen
  • Permission to take the corporate jet to New York
  • $75 to Sticks
  • $25 to a movie theatre
  • Reminder that a year ago today I was in a very uncomfortable position; happy to have moved past it
  • $80, collected from friends to donate to the Animal Rescue League in honor of our friends’ deceased cat Kato
  • A Tupperware container, returned to me
  • A gazillion more e-mails than it’s humanly possible to keep up with
  • A jacket in the mail, from a catalog, that was supposed to suffice for my black-tie-optional-dinner next week, but which likely will not
  • One copy of Working Mother magazine, sent from Working Mother management, with 12 pages of coverage about my company flagged for me (nice!)
  • Five swanky keychains I ordered through our online logo merchandise store, to give as gifts to employees
  • A compliment in the form of an employee saying she associated my name with really good news
  • Too many calls to my cell phone from an 800 number, which likely means a bill is overdue and they’re wondering when I’ll send it
  • Good vibes, pretty much all week (knock on wood)
  • A surprise CD from my most prolific CD-mix-making friend, entitled, “Sorry About the Last One”
And now, I'm off to think about all the interesting things I received this past week... Perhaps I'll throw on "Sorry About the Last One" as background music.

No comments: